The Abeja Poblana was printed for the first time on November 30, 1820, in the Casa de Ejercicios, a building better known as the Patio de Azulejos, located at 11 poniente 110 in the city of Puebla, and its epigraph read:
“A newspaper is a sentinel, that without ceasing, watches over the interests of the people".
The newspaper was signed "Doctor Jebb"; however, Salvador Cruz, historian, discovered that the author and creator of the newspaper was the priest Juan Nepomuceno Troncoso.
The first issue of La Abeja Poblana featured the following annotation:
“First newspaper published in this city of Puebla de los Ángeles, in use of the rights declared by the Political Constitution of our Spanish Monarchy sworn on June 3, 1820.
The print run of La Abeja Poblana was 200 copies, it consisted of four pages and its publication was weekly. Readers had the option of subscribing for as long as they wished; it had a cost of six pesos and six reales per year.
One of the most important publications took place in 1821, with the recently promulgatedPlan de Iguala, proclaimed by Agustín de Iturbide.
However, the content of the newspaper was "anti-Iturbidist", and according to historian Salvador Cruz, this cut cost "the banishment of the newspaper's author".
The circulation of the newspaper was only 20 weeks and suspended in April 1821, because Juan Nepomuceno Troncoso suffered pressure and persecution by the government.
Some historians refer that first the printing press was seized and later came the imprisonment.
The creation of the Abeja Poblana was possible thanks to the proposed Constitution of Cadiz on freedom of the press, since until June 1820 it was prohibited by Spain in the American colonies.
When the newspaper stopped printing, the weekly El Amigo de Puebla emerged, which in its first edition printed:
“Second newspaper published in the city of Puebla in use of the rights gloriously established by the invincible arms of the Imperial Army of the Three Guarantees."
Translation by: Karla Giselle Bonales Ramírez