Nota: Este contenido tiene una versión en español

The last time Susana Zenteno saw her daughter Susy Cerón Zenteno was on November 7, 2020. That Saturday, her daughter was kidnapped by Efrén Hernández, an element of the Puebla Public Security Secretariat who was her boyfriend and took her by force from her home.

From that day on, Susana spent her nights at the window of her house, in the Unidad Habitacional Xilotzingo, waiting for him to return. Dozens of calls, messages, but no one answered.

The following Monday, Susana's mother told Poblanerías.com, she went to her daughter's work, in the same office where Efrén worked. But, no one knew where she was.

"We spent all day Sunday, on Monday we went to his work, I asked his boss, Carmen, and she told me that she was very sorry for what we were going through. I had hoped to find my daughter at her work. I went and didn't find her."

It was then that the Cerón family went to report Susy missing.
Twelve days after Efrén took her by force, Susy's body was found lifeless on the Periférico Ecológico. At that moment, the state policeman became the main suspect in the femicide and went on the run.

Two months later, on January 18, 2021, the man was arrested in Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas and transferred to Puebla where he would face, according to the State Prosecutor's Office, crimes related to Forced Disappearance of Persons and Disappearance Committed by Private Individuals.

Even on January 20, Governor Miguel Barbosa Huerta, assured that there would be justice in the case and that the policeman would be charged and prosecuted for femicide.

No hearing and abandoned

However, one year after the femicide and ten months after the alleged perpetrator was arrested, Susana's family has only had one hearing in the case.

The abandonment by legal advisors, as well as the postponement - on five occasions - of a second hearing, leave the family in the midst of uncertainty and without access to justice.

Susana Ceron
Portrait of Susana Cerón. (Photo: Lizeth Flores Jácome/Express Media)

Susana Zenteno says that the delay in this process has been due to several reasons, including the fact that Efren did not have a defense, that the courtroom was not available, that the defense had requested a longer term, among others.

"The first hearing was online, and from then on we have been told pretexts, that because the man had no lawyer, and so far we have not been able to have a hearing with him."

To this is added the abandonment of legal counsel, as in the case of attorney Landy Rojas, who, one day before the hearing, announced by text message that she would leave the case because she was going to apply for another job.

The same has happened with the representatives of the Specialized Prosecutor's Office for the Investigation of Gender Violence Crimes against Women of the FGE.

"

For what I am living, nothing has been done for my daughter, there is no justice. And if there is impunity, there is. How many mothers are like me? Without knowing about their daughters, how many mothers are looking for their daughters and there is no answer for them either? There has to be justice for my daughter and for all the moms who are just like me.

In the case for the disappearance and death of Susana Cerón, the process has two investigation files: one for disappearance, since Susana was taken by force, and another for femicide.

The family fears that the defense wants to classify the crime to a homicide, without the responsible party facing the penalty of up to 50 years in prison, as established by the Penal Code of Puebla.

"I ask for justice for my daughter, because how many mothers like me do not find their daughters or there is no justice? I don't see anything moving, and what I want is justice because that man killed her. He went, he took her, he killed her."

However, according to article 325 of the Federal Criminal Code, Susana's death meets several gender reasons to be considered femicide:

  1. There existed between the active and the victim a sentimental relationship, affectionate or of confidence;
  2. The victim was incommunicado, whatever the time prior to the deprivation of life;
  3. The victim's body was incommunicado.
  4. The victim's body was exhibited in a public place.

Support has not arrived

At the time of her death, Susana was working in the administrative area of the Secretariat of Public Security. There she earned around 2,900 pesos a fortnight. With that, she maintained the house where she lived with her mother and her three daughters.

Days after her body was found, Governor Miguel Barbosa declared in a press conference that Susy's daughters would have support from the state. On that occasion, he said that he had instructed and that it was necessary to "help these girls".

Susana Ceron
Susana Ceron's daughters were left in the care of their grandmother. (Photo: Lizeth Flores Jácome/Express Media)

Susana Zenteno points out that they have gone on several occasions to the C5, where her daughter worked, and have even handed in documents to access the support; however, what was promised has not arrived.

She assures that inside the C5, staff working in the area of Human Development, whose direction is in charge of Laura Flores Barrera, they are not even allowed to enter anymore.

"They tell us why are we going, that their boss has a lot of work, and that they cannot attend to us and they take us out"

 

The children have been left under the care of Mrs. Susana, who supports herself by doing housework and whatever her children can give her.

For that reason, she asks the governor to review the case and see why the aid order she instructed has not been complied with.

"He left three girls and she was the head of the house, the one who provided everything. I ask for justice and child support for the girls because that is what Barbosa said. I don't know if his people don't want to obey him, or I don't understand."

Translation by: Karla Giselle Bonales Ramírez

 

 

--
POB/LFJ